Thursday, April 8, 2010

Here we go again

I'm sure we said never again, but this morning the alarm went off at 4.45am and I staggered out of bed to wake a sleepy 13 year old and we headed off the the pool for a 5.30am start. Hmmm. It's not as if we didn't know what we were letting ourselves in for. Three years of driving our daughter to swim training before she got her licence has been forever etched on my brain (and added wrinkles I am sure).

Trouble is swimmers have to spend so much time in the pool to get better. And it's so good for our lanky, previously non-sporty teen who now has muscles and the resting heart rate of a top cyclist.

The quiet steady splashes of a squad moving up and down the pool is very restful. As I come back in daylight to pick him up, I hear the bark of a coach, followed by teenage laughter. The sleepy zombies at the beginning of the session are bouncing round looking pleased with themselves,chatting about the rest of their day . Christian's fears that he would be the slowest in this move up are now evaporated. New friends will be made, new confidences, new challenges, new life skills.

Maybe it won't be so bad after all

1 comment:

  1. Thats a lovely post.
    I'll never complain about driving the 30mins into town for dance class again.

    ReplyDelete